Richard Paul Spens Cover Letter
Richard Paul Spens 28515 Seven Mile Rd. Livonia, MI 48152-3501 phone# (248) 474 -2799
To: Staff Recruiter Sept 26, 2002
My experience includes 12 years in design, 10 years in testing, and 7 years fabricating parts and assemblies.
With proven success in solving engineering problems from concept through production, I believe I could make
immediate results in your product. I am pleased to have the opportunity to apply for your position as
Highlights of my accomplishments include:
Saved one month in UL regulatory review time loss.
- Transformed a dysfunctional prototype into a successful product line. I have received U.S.
- patent #5,588,257 for garage door opener. Assigned to company.
- Completed value added plastic gear case assembly, improved design, eliminated previous processing
problems and resultant part failures through an improved structure and material selection. Reduced
assembly time by 20% and QC rejects by 80%.
- Designed and implemented use of inspection gauges for output shaft that resolved disputes between
vendors and engineering.
- Redesigned garage door opener using 3D CAD which reduced size, improved lighting, increased ease of
customer installation, and reduced cost ($108.78 to $96.67).
- Considered and resolved constraints of UL standards on manufacturing cost and development schedule.
For me, designing and building things is not just a job, it is my passion. From my childhood projects,
- Mocked up, tested, and machined custom connector, built mold, and cast 80 plastic assemblies saving six to
eight weeks of prototype tooling time quoted by supplier. Saved potential loss of project due to incompletion
of a critical junction.
through my choice of education, to practicing all of my hobbies, designing and building mechanical or electrical
gadgets have defined me.
Most importantly, I can quickly analyze your project, learn your objectives, and goals and do my very best to aid
you in getting there. I do hope we can meet for a short time
REFERENCES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST
so I could explain more fully the valuable contributions I could make as your design engineer. I can be reached
at (248) 474-2799.
Thank you for your valuable time and consideration.